I have a requirement which is briefly outlined below. This is from a friend and is only open to people or companies already known to me. Please use the form at the bottom of this post to contact me for more information. Continue reading
Here are a selection of good quality android tablets that are now available at reasonable prices at my Amazon Shop. Continue reading
About 18 months ago I tried to replace a briefcase full of kit with a tablet device. You can read more that here.http://www.courtguinness.co.uk/a-bank-holiday-weekend-challenge/. Well I am going to try and repeat the challenge in a weeks time. The one thing I am lacking is a decent video editing app for Android. Anyone got any bright ideas. I’m taking a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and a Samsung Galaxy S4 mobile phone. The only kit I will be carrying is 2 memory sticks a notepad and my wallet and passport. The idea is to ditch the briefcase. On another note has anyone sucesfully rooted a Galaxy Tab 3 with Cyanogen yet?
So Blackberry Messenger has been available on the Android operating system through the Play Store for just over a week now. Over the weekend I have been paying attention to battery life on my tablet.I have noticed that my battery is not lasting a day I have noticed that BBM is draining the battery and causing some data leakage. The cause seems to be the “always on” feature. Even of you kill the task using a task killer it automatically comes back to life a few minutes later. I am going to remove it until they bring out a new version. This is a pity because it is actually a good app. If you notice the batteries on your Android device seem not to last as long as they should and you have BBM installed its quite possible that BBM maybe the culprit.
Following from my “What does the tech expert do?” post the other day. I thought I would post some insights into what I run on my indispensable Android Tablet. Firstly to make life easy I ditched the standard operating System and replaced it with CyanogenMod. Its great and much better than the stock Samsung Android operating system. Performance and battery life are both very much enhanced. So what apps are indispensable on this device. Well for a start the standard Google stack is a great baseline. After that these are the pick of the bunch from those that I have installed:
- Office 365 – Great for complex Microsoft Office documents!
- Office Suite Pro 7 – A great office suite.
- DriveDroid – Boot computers from your Android device! Great tool has helped me out a number of times.
- National Rail – I am especially fond of the “get me home” – has saved my bacon on a number of occasions!
- Piwik – Website monitoring on the move!
- Whatsapp – Essential messaging app, probably needs very little introduction.
- WordPress – Website management and blogging on the move. An essential app for me.
- Twitter – Needs little introduction, but I do like the ability to manage multiple twitter accounts.
- Facebook – This one definitely needs no introduction!
- Link2SD – Excellent app for managing applications on an SD card.
- Owncloud – I love owncloud! Its so much more secure than Dropbox and the addons extend its usage so well. I say this eats Dropbox for breakfast! I’m a little peeved that they have started charging for the Android App though.
- Momento Database – Great tool for customised databases on the move great for capturing leads and much more!
- Photoshop Express – Excellent photo editing.
- Meta Trader 5 – Excellent trading app!
- Bloomberg – Best market news ever!
- Entrepreneur – Investment and private equity news – quality!
- MD Scan – Mobile document scanning, brilliant tool!
Its becoming a routine thing these days. I will be in the pub having a pint and someone wants my opinion on which tablet to buy. Some people go so far as to insist on telling me that my opinion is wrong.
So where do I sit? In my view its a personal thing. I don’t like ioS. The apple operating system. I’m a techie and prefer Android. I also don’t like bulky kit. My stuff tends to travel with me. I try to travel light so therefore a 7 inch tablet is best for me. My view is that the choice between Apple and Android devices is a personal thing regardless of my view the best thing is to try the devices and make your own mind up. Some people swear by a large Ipad. For me it weighs too much! Check each device carefully and think about it before you make a decision. It has come to a point where there is no right or wrong answer only a personal choice that only you can make.
The only one thing I will now say to people is that if you buy an Apple device please, please please buy the biggest version in terms of storage you can afford as many of the good external storage solutions for Ipads are very very expensive, where as for an android device adding storage via MicroSd costs about £20!
Device selection is a personal thing and I think iits best kept that way!
People wanted to test new product for small businesses at a venue in either Wimbledon or Epsom week commencing 15/7 for approx 1 hour free drink and niibles provided must bring own mobile device that is 3G and wifi enabled. iPhone iPad Samsung or other andriod tabs and mobiles. We will need to install a small app that can be removed immediately afterwards and will not collect any data from the device apart from battery usage from the display we will also ask you a few questions about our new product and you will get a voucher for a hefty discount. We really need an iPad 1 owner along at the session as well.
So i’m off to Luxembourg on business trip on behalf of SystemNet Data, a Court Capital Partners business next week. Normally I travel on business with tons of kit in my briefcase notably, a laptop, tablet device, kindle, iPod, external hard drives, camera, memory stick, backup mobile and more. In order to get the weight down and get it all in one bag i’m considering travelling with just an Android tablet. Ok its a Motorola Xoom 32GB with a 32 GB MicroSD card on board. So how do we do this? What Apps are essential on an Android device for a jaunt such as this? What should be junked? Am I crazy? Can it be done? Will be good enough for business? Let me know your thoughts? On the subject of Luxembourg wheres a good hotel and places to eat and drink?