Following a blog the other day on which I blogged about a dutch classic car auction site and some of the interesting metal they had. I received a number of messages and had a number of chats with friends and colleagues about classic cars. Unfortunately the DVLA have removed my licence for a while on medical grounds and these would be the vehicles that are top of my wish list to drive or to own. In no particular order.
- Jaguar XJS 6.0 Convertible. There is something about these cars. I absolutely love them. Classic values for good ones are going through the roof.
- Toyota MR-2 Mk1. Always had a soft spot for these. I remember being picked up at Manchester Airport by a colleague who drove one and was amazed at how quickly we made it across northern country roads to a very important meeting. My flight was delayed and we were up against the wall on time. The MR2 definitely saved the day!
- Ford Sierra Sapphire Cossworth. I remember these machines very well. Sharp handling and if you were too quick with a 2WD version this car could easily end up in the ditch 🙁 Find one that has been stolen is nearly impossible and finding a really nice one is very difficult.
- Mini Cooper. One of the last ones please 🙂 I did actually manage a drive in one of these. At the time I could not remember having so much fun sriving. It was the biggest hoot and left such a smile on my faceI really wish I could have bought one.
- Lotus Carlton. I can only dream about driving one of these especially in RHD form. What I wouldn’t want to dream about is how long it would take me to get done for speeding. One friend reckons I would lose my licence within one hour. If they give me licence back that is! Great car fantastic bit of kit. Rated better than a BMW M5 by some 🙂
- Audi Quattro. What an icon after 30 years. I have heard so many special stories about these from people whi have been fortunate enough to own or drive one. A good drive across country in one of these would be a great few hours spent out of the house or office.
There are scores of other real world cars I could suggest such as the Nissan 200 sx, toyota celica BMW M3 E30, Mercedes 190E 2.3-16 but the ones above are my favourites of the era. I definitely missed the boat with these.